Monday, December 8, 2008

Braised Pork with Eggs (Thit Heo Kho Voi Trung)

>

I was making Braised Pork w/ Eggs (Thit Heo Kho Voi Trung) for dinner last week, thanks to Wandering Chopsticks' recipe. I didn't have CocoRico, nor any Seven-Up, so I used some beer instead! LOL!

My Mom and sister usually use the pork belly to make this, but I don't want too much fat so I used pork butt instead, and follow the above recipe, with little bit of modifications on ingredient measurements to fit our own taste.
+ 2 lbs pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes
+ 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled
+ 1 cup of beer (I wanted to follow WanderingChopsticks' CocoRico recommendation, or Seven-Up, but didn't have either one around my kitchen, the only thing available in stock is beer!)
+ 4 cloves of garlic, minced
+ 3 tbsp soy sauce (instead of fish sauce)
+ 1-2 tsp salt or to taste
+ 1/3 bar of palm sugar, crushed a little for easy dissolve (or 1-2 tsp sugar to taste)
+ 1 tsp caramel (WanderingChopsticks makes her own caramel)
+ 2 cups water (or more)

Heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat, add minced garlic. Then add the pork cubes, stir around a little so the meat can brown a little bit. Add caramel, and stir around alittle bit more.

Add beer (better if it's CocoRico coconut juice, or Seven-Up).
Add soysauce and palm sugar.
Add 2 cup water. Let it all simmer on low heat for 15 minutes
Add in the eggs (I like the eggs to absorb more taste, so I add them in at the beginning - if you don't want your eggs hard cooked you can add them in later).

Watch your sauce amount, it should level around where it can cover the meat and eggs. Add more water, add salt+soysauce+sugar to taste, and let simmer more as needed. Stir the meat and eggs around occasionally so they can be evenly marinated in the sauce.

This is excellent eaten with hot white rice.

3 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That looks great. Beer is OK. On of my uncles makes a beer chicken dish so I know it'll go well. :) Thanks for trying my recipe.

Anonymous said...

Wandering:
Yeah funny how beer is the only beverage we have in stock around our house, besides water ofcourse. But it can come in handy sometimes for cooking substitution :)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy.