Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Another rice porridge recipe - with chicken

I made rice porridge (jook) quite often lately, I guess due to the colder weather, plus my tired appetite after looong *rough* days at work (that's another whole topic in itself which I may need a vent blog to write about, but I'll keep this blog strictly to food :)

I was blogging about plain jook with salted eggs before. Here's another jook recipe, I like this jook more because it is more tasty but it takes a teeny tiny more work since you'll need to prep the meat.

Here's the steps:

+ 1 cup of rice, washed and drained (I add about 1/3 tsp of olive oil and mix well into the damp rice)
+ Boil a pot of water ( ~ 1.5-2 quarts)
+ Add 1 can of chicken broth and let boil with the water.
+ Add rice, reduce heat to medium-to-low and stir every once in a while to avoid boil over.
+ Scoop off the foam occasionally
+ Add additional water as needed (depends on how thick you want your jook, I usually like my less thick and more silky, so I just add more water and cook longer)
+ Add 2/3 tsp salt, or to taste.
+ Let simmer for 45 min to 1 hr

While letting jook simmer on the stove, prep the chicken and ginger as following:



+ 1 chicken breast, boneless skinless, cut into thin slices, put in a large bowl
+ Add the following ingredients, and mix them all well with the chicken pieces
1 tsp of cornstarch (can be skipped if you don't have it)
1/2 tsp of salt
Ground black pepper to your liking (lots of pepper in mine - I love that challenging hot AND spicy feeling)
A small dab of sugar (optional)
+ Cut ginger into thin threads as following:

Add the chicken and ginger into your pot of jook about 1/2 hr before turning off heat and serve hot.

You may cook the chicken in your jook longer, it may make the chicken overcook and drier (that's why I add cornstarch to help moist the meat).



Serve very hot, add ground pepper and chopped green onion as desired.

No comments: